Radioworld.ca
Front Harbour Marine Strictly Fish N Tackle

Author Topic: L2F (Learn to Fish Program)  (Read 681 times)

Offline Millage

• Smallmouth
L2F (Learn to Fish Program)
« on: May 05, 2011, 05:06:24 PM »
On Wed. May04/11  I helped do the L2F for grade 4 students from Wickewire school, Liverpool. This program introduces youg kids to the sport of fishing.The program is co-ordinated by Tara Marshall from Inland Fisheries. I am proud to sat my son Mark started doing this on his own for sveral years in some local schools and has since joined the L2F program. Mark's wife Cindy, John Wile and Mel ,from CKBW and myself also took a L2F training course and now help deliver this program to the kids. Not to get too long winded, KIds are taught classroom about fishing(as most have never fished before) by Mark,John and Cindy. They then go out to a location that is stocked with trout and fish. I can tell you their is no greater joy than to see these kids hook a trout. Priceless! I only write this because there is this and other projects that try to get our young people exposed to the fun and benifits of fishing and being out doors. So if you ever have the chance or want help people do this you really should as most of us are so blessed to have the chance to enjoy fishing and a chance to encourage others to do the same. So also a great big thanks to Gail and Dennis Lavender for coming out to the pond and helping Mark  and us  do the L2F on May04 and I know Gail had such a great time. Last but not least, Mark gave each kid a Shimano rod combo (which he buys himself ) and you should have been there to see their excitement with this give. Congrats , next school is Hillcrest in Shelburne and I should have BBQ set up and the hot  dogs ready this time when the bus load of energetic young anglers arrive. ha ha

Offline Cody

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
    • CodyLohnes.com
Re: L2F (Learn to Fish Program)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
Thats fantastic Millage!

I know Mark has been involved in this for several years now and has put a lot of time and effort into it and I think its turned out the way he had hoped. I know the one i attended that day at the Marc in Dayspring was excellent.

Bravo to all the volunteers and especially to Mark for turning this into a very successful program.
Cody Lohnes, CPA CA
Grant Thornton LLP
President - South Shore Bassmasters

Nova Scotia Bass Forums

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »

Offline Millage

• Smallmouth
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:59:06 PM »
One more post on L2F program. I made a mistake (can you imagine ) Should be Mark has in the past bought the rods for the kids himself, but now, thanks to Shimano's commitment to youth fishers  and Mark's affiliaton with Shimano he is sponsered a certain number of rod combo's each year to give out the kids. Now I can sleep nights  he he

Offline scottw

• Super Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
Great job!
2011 Stratos 186XT
2011 Mercury Optimax 115
Lowrance Electronics
MK Talon
Team Wilson.... Sponsored by Belliveau-Veinotte CPA Inc.

Offline Jason Woolridge

• Super Bass
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:19:37 AM »
Wonderful stuff....This is truely a great program....

Hats off to yee all.

Offline Mark Weare

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
  • A man just needs to go fishing!!
    • Mark Weare Fishing Site
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 05:07:46 AM »
Thanks, it is a lot of work, takes a bunch of money and time but we sure have a lot of fun teaching these kids and getting them into fishing.

Thanks to Dennis and Gail Lavender for helping out last week in Liverpool, as well as dad, mom, my daughter Ashley, her boyfriend Jacob and my wife Cindy. Thanks to M&M Meat Shops for deeply discounted hot dogs and some freebies too. Thanks for Shimano and CKBW for help with rods. Thanks to fisheries for trout and L2F materials. Thanks to mom and dad for the juice and barbecue. Thanks to Marktech for supplying the rest of the food, tackle and fishing rods.

Tomorrow we are doing an event in Shelburne, thanks to mom, dad, Ashley, Jacob, Cindy, DNR Shelburne, my other daughter mackenzie and the other businesses as usual. Should be a blast!!

On average I give away 125 rods to kids, I maintain a personal inventory of 40 rods for this class teaching as well as lots of other tackle etc. I also need to get that tackle pack from Jeff when I remember (maybe take it to Mactaquac Jeff). Ove the last 3 years Shimano has really stepped up with big assistance whcih saves me a lot of money as I have bought them previously at big discounts from Shimano but hey, free is better!

Again, a great program and I owe a lot to a lot of people for doing their part too!

The First Cast Radio Show www.thefirstcast.com or download from iTunes podcasts

Offline Mark Weare

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
  • A man just needs to go fishing!!
    • Mark Weare Fishing Site
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 05:38:03 PM »
Thanks to all the Weare's who came through yesterday for the kids in Shelburne. Mom and dad who are Pat and Millage, my brother Leigh, my wife Cindy, my two daughters Ashley and MacKenzie as well as Jacob, Ashley's boyfriend.

The kids had a great time and fished through some very rough weather while always smiling.

The First Cast Radio Show www.thefirstcast.com or download from iTunes podcasts

Offline Jeff Duncan

• Super Bass
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:49:18 PM »
Mark,

Yup, I'll bring that stuff with me.

Cheers

Better get Maaco Hanley Marine - Nova Scotia's High Performance Dealer