Radioworld.ca
Front Harbour Marine Strictly Fish N Tackle

Author Topic: B1 Stats Updated  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Bill Roy

• Smallmouth
Re: B1 Stats Updated
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2013, 06:35:42 PM »
I don't think the scales was the real issue here,... I think as well, the scales were pretty accurate... Its the other shinanagins that doesn't sit well with me...If everyone else was weighing fish the way they were, then there is more than a "small issue" there....lol
An event like the B1 acknowledges that they have a problem like this by not accepting a second weight, yet smiles and carrys on like it never happened by not enforcing rules that they have set in place?...That's BS in my book. Its a great event, and BEN and the boys do an awesome job with it for sure, and I will likely go again BUT, when you go to an event like this and your sitting there wondering how much of this is going on while your there, knowing there's no concequence for it, well, it just gets you to thinking is all...and when you attend a top notch event like this, those kind of thoughts shouldn't be entering your mind if you know what I mean. I do know one thing, If I was sitting only ounzes behind these guys and they tried pulling that off and it landed them a place ahead of me..I would be pissed!! Alls good for now though, ya put your head down and keep at er:) The B1 is still the best event in Canada in my books!, just unfortunate that an incidant like this might/will leave a sour taste in the mouths of a few... :notworthy:

Offline Rob Jackson

• Bass Fry
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2013, 05:07:11 PM »
Wow, quite the witch hunt here. 

If Charles in fact wanted to do as you all are accusing him of "cheating" wouldn't he hold the gills from the bottom?  I think there's a little stretching of the imagination going on here fellas..

Charles sent me this text while waiting to weigh-in. 

If you think you've got around 22.5 and the scale says different why wouldn't you ask for a re-weigh that you are entitled to? 

Ask yourselves this.  If he wanted to do what you all said he did, why didn't he do it the first time he put the fish in?

Gotta love mob mentality.

RJ

Offline Bill Roy

• Smallmouth
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2013, 11:46:07 PM »
Hi Rob, Kudos to you for being the good cop here! And yes, if you thought your weight was wrong at the scales, some/most would ask for a re-weigh as your entitled... Take a step back and have a second look at the vid, I don't know what was happening there or what whoever was thinking, all I'm saying is YOU need to look at the vid as others see it and for what it is. I,m quite certain that Charles wasn't gonna tell you he was going to pinch the gills shut on his fish to retain water via text so that text means squat to me. And makes even more sense to do something as simple as this to try and get the weight you thought you had...Just for the record, if you look at the video, the gills are clearly being held SHUT, holding water, then emptied above the shute.
Asking for the re-weigh isn't the issue my friend, its how the re-weigh was done.
I could be seeing something here that isn't there, please correct if i'm wrong, if so I'm an ass for even thinking such ridiculous BS and I shut my trap, end of story! I'm just looking at the vid and see what I see...show me different....
And was the second weight later not accepted? and why was that???
I'm just looking at something that looks a bit odd to me is all.. and obviously to a few others as well even though I be the idiot to stick my head out on a limb here.....
In closing, I think its best that I put my comments to rest on this. Whats done is done, the proffessionals deal and dealt with this issue as they seen fit.....

Offline scottw

• Super Bass
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2013, 08:07:10 AM »
While I don't want to get into this discussion, I can comment on known facts; the before and after weight tells the tale. The reweigh was several ounces heavier. The weight had to come from somewhere; I seriously doubt it was a scale error.
2011 Stratos 186XT in "fast red"
2011 Mercury Optimax 115
Team Wilson.... Sponsored by Belliveau-Veinotte Chartered Accountants and CARROLL AUTOGROUP; GM and Honda
http://www.carrollautogroup.com/index.htm

Offline Rob Jackson

• Bass Fry
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »
I have watched the video.  I was watching live as well.  When they saw their weight, you can watch Charles look at Nigel and they are both a bit puzzled as you can clearly see by their body language.  Nigel turns to Ben and says something, assuming that they want a re-weigh. 

I truly think you guys are seeing something you want to see for some reason.  I see him holding a fish by the mouth and the back of the head, as fish are lifted into the chute one at a time you can see the bottom of the gills are open.  Today, I tried to do what you guys are accusing him of doing with a 4 lb Smallie.  The way he held the fish the water still came out of the gills.  Unless you hold the gills closed at the bottom of the fish water comes out.

Not sure where this is coming from but another thing to consider is this.  Read my text again.  He clearly says he thinks they "could" get as high as 5th with the struggles of other teams.  They didn't have any idea that they would actually end up being that high in the standings.  To think a guy who has fished all over the province and the US would stake his reputation within tourney circles, the fishing industry and his peers is ludicrous and all to try to get up into 5th place?  Please.

RJ

Offline Rob Jackson

• Bass Fry
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »
While I don't want to get into this discussion, I can comment on known facts; the before and after weight tells the tale. The reweigh was several ounces heavier. The weight had to come from somewhere; I seriously doubt it was a scale error.

Why would you doubt it?  It can't be the first time you've heard of scale issues at the B1 is it?  Ben and his crew put on a great show there is no doubt, but I highly doubt you'll see that aquarium setup again.  I watched most of the weigh in.  Alot of water going in with fish and in some cases going out.   

IMO, anglers should never touch their fish after the fish checker does his inspection.  Baskets should be used, sure it's not as sexy as this may or may not have appeared to be but it works.

RJ

Offline scottw

• Super Bass
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2013, 09:19:58 AM »
Zero the scales.
Put the fish in, with whatever water is on or in them. Weigh the fish.
Pull the fish out.
Zero the Scales again.
Put the fish back in, with whatever water is on or in them. Weigh said fish.
The weight is several ounces more. The fish aren't any heavier; what changed?
Were the scales faulty, or..........
2011 Stratos 186XT in "fast red"
2011 Mercury Optimax 115
Team Wilson.... Sponsored by Belliveau-Veinotte Chartered Accountants and CARROLL AUTOGROUP; GM and Honda
http://www.carrollautogroup.com/index.htm

Offline Bill Roy

• Smallmouth
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »
OK 1st:

I truly think you guys are seeing something you want to see for some reason.  I see him holding a fish by the mouth and the back of the head, as fish are lifted into the chute one at a time you can see the bottom of the gills are open.  Today, I tried to do what you guys are accusing him of doing with a 4 lb Smallie.  The way he held the fish the water still came out of the gills.  Unless you hold the gills closed at the bottom of the fish water comes out.

This is highly debatable, I see differently...

2nd:

IMO, anglers should never touch their fish after the fish checker does his inspection.  Baskets should be used, sure it's not as sexy as this may or may not have appeared to be but it works.

I AGREE 100%!!

3rd:

Not sure where this is coming from but another thing to consider is this.  Read my text again.  He clearly says he thinks they "could" get as high as 5th with the struggles of other teams.  They didn't have any idea that they would actually end up being that high in the standings.  To think a guy who has fished all over the province and the US would stake his reputation within tourney circles, the fishing industry and his peers is ludicrous and all to try to get up into 5th place?  Please.

Much more important and higher profile individuals have done a lot worse with much more to lose in the fishing industry....

Offline fishing fanatic

• Super Bass
    • www.fishingfanatic.ca
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »
Bottom line, the officials at the B1 must feel that something is not legit with the reweigh in order for them to since deny the second weight and readjust to the original weight that was recorded the first time. Wonder what the reason is ?  :popcorn:

Offline Rob Jackson

• Bass Fry
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2013, 08:33:22 PM »
Zero the scales.
Put the fish in, with whatever water is on or in them. Weigh the fish.
Pull the fish out.
Zero the Scales again.
Put the fish back in, with whatever water is on or in them. Weigh said fish.
The weight is several ounces more. The fish aren't any heavier; what changed?
Were the scales faulty, or..........

Re-weighs happen at all levels of tournaments.  And you see differences often.  Why I don't know I'm not an expert on scales.  What I do know is if you watch any amount of time of the weigh in you see water going in with fish for most competitors and water coming OUT as well, hence they are losing weight.  Hopefully the B1 crew cleans this up so no one can be crucified for anything in the future.

I can't answer to why the B1 Officials did anything in this matter, clearly a squeaky wheel got some grease. 

Not much more to add to this. I see one thing, the 5 guys I had watch the video saw the same thing, you guys see another.  Sadly the setup as it was leaves everything open to interpretation which sucks for everyone in the end.

This last post was sponsored by Abu Garcia, can I get my free reel now? :dontknow: :laughing6:

RJ

Offline Jeff Duncan

• Super Bass
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »
Hey Rob,

Listen, I was at the event and was present at the weight in. I was on the right side of the stage, I didn't watch the reweigh myself but since a bunch of people moved up to see it and I was comfortable where I was so I didn't see it but could hear it. Mark said he was on the other side of the stage where he was watching it. Now once it was over people in my immediate location people started talking about him cheating on that reweigh and since we've heard from Mark where he said those on the left side of the stage were talking about it too.

There has been a lot of talk going on since the day it occurred and we now know he has been stripped of the second weight so I don't think there's any witch hunt on here just a discussion of the facts presented and open consideration of its complications. There's all kinds of talk going on elsewhere and we're the only bunch doing so in an open forum.

No one wants to see this happen and it wasn't brought up for the purpose slander anyone. I for one have met Charles on several occasions and I gave him the benefit of doubt when we exchanged online pleasentries the next day and I've followed some of his previous exploits . But on the flip side no one wants to feel cheated ether as that shakes the ramparts of foundation that hold our sport together, sportsmanship. And considering the time, cost and effort everyone puts into trying to win fairly or make it as fair for everyone than one can only expect concern from those involved.

Given what we know and what has taken place I don't think we are of any fault to defend sportsmanship and we shouldn't feel any scorn in that action rather it is us that need to be reassured our trust is unbroken. Its not us that should be talking.

Cheers 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:44:32 AM by Jeff Duncan »

Offline Mark Weare

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
  • A man just needs to go fishing!!
    • Mark Weare Fishing Site
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »
Frigging great post Jeff!!

The First Cast Radio Show www.thefirstcast.com or download from iTunes podcasts

Offline Bill Roy

• Smallmouth
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »
Jeff, x2!!!  :icon_thumleft:

Just watched a u-tube vid Ben posted of his H2 System that Berkley uses...I really have serious doubts that these scales were off at all...That is a pretty crazy, accurate system for sure!!

If any doubts in accuracy of B1 scales, this should put any doubts to rest for sure.. :icon_thumright:

http://youtu.be/Xt42cPfkOm8
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:16:55 PM by Bill Roy »

Offline Rob Jackson

• Bass Fry
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »
Sorry fellas, was away fishing for a few days.

People love to pile on and talk.  I get it.

It is what it is at this point.  I won't discuss the B1 crew or their decision publicly as its just not my place to do so. 

I'll never believe Charles did anything on purpose to increase his weight to possibly finish 5th at best in his mind. 

RJ

Offline Mark Weare

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
  • A man just needs to go fishing!!
    • Mark Weare Fishing Site
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2013, 06:33:18 PM »
Looks the discussion per this matter has hit BFB guys, unfortunately with a link to this discussion her on our forums. Reckon the guys on Big Fat Bass will add to the discussion there in Ontario.

The First Cast Radio Show www.thefirstcast.com or download from iTunes podcasts

Better get Maaco Hanley Marine - Nova Scotia's High Performance Dealer