Radioworld.ca
Front Harbour Marine Strictly Fish N Tackle

Author Topic: A Little South Shore Project  (Read 2048 times)

Offline ngm

• Yearling
Re: A Little South Shore Project
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 01:59:43 AM »
what are you doing with the old axle?

Offline Mark Weare

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
  • A man just needs to go fishing!!
    • Mark Weare Fishing Site
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 05:02:23 PM »
I already sold it to a fellow looking to make his trailer dual axle as well.

Give me a shout again Neal, I may need those parts we talked about after all. ;D

Mark

The First Cast Radio Show www.thefirstcast.com or download from iTunes podcasts

Nova Scotia Bass Forums

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 05:02:23 PM »

Offline Mark Weare

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 05:07:52 PM »
Well guys, have been working really hard on this project but have been forced to take a change in direction. :(

The axles I bought unseen were unfortunately not usable, we really thought they were usable but when checked over in detail, there was just too much fire damage.

So, back to the drawing board I need to go.

Having sold my Triton axle already I was now without a trailer at all. :o First plan was to contact Triton/EZLoader and got a quote on new axles to match my trailer. Coaster axle $250.00 US, brake axle $480.00 US, fenders $220.00 US and $225.00 US shipping; about $1500.00 CDN plus brokerage and taxes - not cheap!

Option 2, have axles custom made in NB which would run about $1200 but not the proper brakes and fellow kept changing his story on product and price - good way for me to tell you to fly a kite!

Option 3, buy all components locally and get proper brake assemblies from US at about $250.00 per side just for brakes. Total costs about $1300.00 CDN.

Finally caved in and went with option 4. Bought brand new trailer which Phil has there for me so I now own a brand new off the lot Stratos trailer completely loaded BUT still a single axle!!!!! Moral of story, dumb butt me should have bought new $40.00 trailer spring and kept my Triton trailer as it was!!!! ;D ;D :D ;) :) ::) ::) ::) ::) Do not sell your existing stuff until you know what you have to replace it with! ha ha

Story not over though, will have to make one or two small mods to Stratos trailer as in get rid of Stratos logo and fender, replace with Triton. SO, I will buy a new coaster axle from Stratos plant and convert this puppy over to a dual axle yet :P.

Silver lining? Sure, there is one in there somewhere! I have a brand new trailer now that has never touched the water, it has all the latest in brakes, oiling hubs etc. I also have a perfectly fine and very well built Triton trailer under which I am going to stick a brand new axle, paint black and sell shortly for a grand or better to recover some of my losses due to stupidity! 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D

And the beat goes on.....

Mark

Offline Trevor

• Super Bass
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 12:36:56 AM »
hahaha sounds like a fun situation...

Offline Randy Feener

• Super Bass
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 01:03:47 AM »
Hi Mark,
Sorry to hear about your adventures with trailer rebuild. How much was the new trailer from Phils?

Randy

Offline Mark Weare

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 03:06:28 AM »
You need a trailer Randy? ;D My Triton trailer will be for sale soon. ;D :D ;) Phil gave me a great deal on the trailer Randy, a great deal.

Mark

Offline Mark Weare

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 03:09:50 AM »
Well, the Triton trailer is coming together.... again!

I have welded all of the sidesteps back on, welded the fenders back on and made way for installation of a new axle that I am thinking of buying real soon. Hope to get this puppy back together, painted or sprayed with bed-liner then put it up for sale. Will be selling it for a good price in order to try and retrieve some of the money I am losing with all of these other deals! 8) :)

Mark

Offline Stratos West

• Smallmouth
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 06:43:44 AM »
I just bought a 72" 3500lb axle from Princess Auto for $149.99 on sale. It is to short but can be extended pretty easily. No brakes though.

Offline Randy Feener

• Super Bass
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 03:31:58 AM »
Hi Mark

If I thought that your recon trailer would work( it might?!) you might have a deal. My existing trailer is getting to be it pretty rough shape and I may be taking chances this year, without some work.
I'll send some measurements to you. You never know, it might fit!
Randy

Offline Jamie Blackburn

• Hawg
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 02:26:22 AM »
hey Randy can't you fix it???
"The Rod Glove" Field Staff

Offline Randy Feener

• Super Bass
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 03:33:49 AM »
I don't have a MIG at home. If I do it ,I would like to complete the whole thing here in my garage. I have enough space to lift the boat off and sit it beside the work areabut without the gear, it's not going to be half assed. I'll compare costs of renew vs replace ( as usual )

Randy

Offline Jamie Blackburn

• Hawg
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 03:48:21 AM »
I had to borrow a gragage to get her done.If you only need a MIG,I might be able able to get 1 on lone,if you got the proper plugin.The other stuff is gravy. ;D ;D ;D
"The Rod Glove" Field Staff

Offline Mark Weare

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 03:30:51 PM »
Best deal I found for a new one Randy (2600 lb) that would fit your boat is 1500 + taxes.

Mark

Offline Mark Weare

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 03:50:52 AM »
Well, got some more done today to the trailer... the new one that is. ;D

Since this was a Stratos trailer I had to make a few changes in order to go with the old Triton. The first thing I had to do was raise and or move the bunks to accommodate the hull. Had to cut off the winch stand and install the Triton one as they are completely different per offset and height. That is all done now.

Next was some cosmetics.

Had to take this plain front side support shown below:

and make it look like this one below:

I did that by cutting the Triton word off of the old trailer and welding it into the current side support after cutting it away.

Next I had to remove the Stratos decal as seen here:

and make this:

I did this by cutting the Triton logo out of aluminum stock.

Got the port side of the trailer done, maybe tomorrow night I will do the starboard side. Once I get all of those changes made then I will have to get a volunteer to take my rig to the lake  ;D :D so I can properly clean, prime and re-paint these areas.

And yeah, second axle is on order, will make this a dual axle before I head to Montreal for the B1.

Mark

Offline Mark Weare

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 01:51:47 PM »
Got a little more done this weekend.  ;D

Finished off the Triton logo's on both sides that I welded into the steps.

Wanted a cross member across the back of the trailer for my tie down straps and easier reach to the transom saver. Time to build one out of 4" channel. Some cutting and welding, voila.

Cut off old transom strap ears and clear away paint for welding of new cross-member.

New one in place and painted.

Mark

Better get Maaco Hanley Marine - Nova Scotia's High Performance Dealer