Author Topic: RBANS - Supporting Smallmouth Bass in Nova Scotia  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Bassguru

• Yearling
Re: RBANS - Supporting Smallmouth Bass in Nova Scotia
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 06:03:15 AM »

Your mirror dosen't lie than I guess is what you are saying . I just started targeting salmon 2 years ago and only landed half a dozen and missed dozens more . Trout numbers are down in areas but I have no problems going out and hooking 1-2 lb trout pretty much all of the season ( Till the heat wave ). But that is just the guys I fish with . These stocking programs are to take pressure off other areas if you do any reading on our provincial fish ( Trout ) Our fishing community is drasticly cut in half in the last 20 years so over fishing is not the major problem of our trout and salmon species up here . But down the south end of Nova Scotia has lost most of their trout waters and they never get fished for trout ( A nearly as much as before ) . As we can only assume what is consuming them . I am a bass fisherman myself of the native " stripe bass " . I am on this site here to get in put in how the New Fisherman of the province thinks and handles the smallmouth bass . So good luck in the future and I hope you find some time to come up and hook into a salmon . Cheers Gary .

Very well said basshole. It's nice to see someone that cares for native fish of nova scotia

Offline Trevor

• Super Bass
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »
probably has nothing to do with anything but I have a newspaper clipping here at my house from 1971 of 2 fisherman that went to panuke lake trout fishing. they caught and kept 164 trout that day alone. now in my opinion that is why we have fewer trout then before .. that was only 2 people 1 day but how many other people went out and did the same thing?? there are lakes around here that are full of bass and trout and have no problems going out and catching them..  Poor management might be the fact for some part of it.. but more so the fisherman keeping everything they catch. including bass.. the slot limit to keep a bass is no larger then slightly under 14" but there are people that are keeping all they catch and as big as they catch.
So I guess what I am trying to say is that I think that law enforcement should be thicker and catch the fisherman that are ruining our fisheries aposed to the clubs, groups etc...
My rant for the morning  :icon_salut:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:52:13 AM by Trevor »

Offline Gary Josey

• Administrator
  • Super Bass
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »

And a good rant it was Trevor!    :thumbsup:

Bill Roy

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 12:16:58 PM »
GREAT way to tell it Trevor, exactly what I was trying to get across! :BangHead: :BangHead:
Well said, well put, and hats off to you! :icon_salut: :icon_salut:
Bill

Offline Rob Blackburn

• Hawg
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 01:13:45 PM »
probably has nothing to do with anything but I have a newspaper clipping here at my house from 1971 of 2 fisherman that went to panuke lake trout fishing. they caught and kept 164 trout that day alone. now in my opinion that is why we have fewer trout then before .. that was only 2 people 1 day but how many other people went out and did the same thing?? there are lakes around here that are full of bass and trout and have no problems going out and catching them..  Poor management might be the fact for some part of it.. but more so the fisherman keeping everything they catch. including bass.. the slot limit to keep a bass is no larger then slightly under 14" but there are people that are keeping all they catch and as big as they catch.
So I guess what I am trying to say is that I think that law enforcement should be thicker and catch the fisherman that are ruining our fisheries aposed to the clubs, groups etc...
My rant for the morning  :icon_salut:

Well put Trevor...couldn't agree more

Offline Jeff Duncan

• Super Bass
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 01:24:29 PM »
First off I'm a fisherman. Fished for years for other species since I was a younster then back in the late 90's started mostly fishing for bass although I take a few trips now and again for trout (all get released). Now back in the 1940's bass was introduced as another sport fish for the province as we have only few unlike our westwardly counterparts whom have muskies, walley, Pike,Largemouth, steelhead, etc, etc. Now that being said many in this province pioneered todays competive bass fishing before my time to what we enjoy today and throughout that time with almost no funding has gone into the bass fishery as compared to trout. Bass are thriving and trout are delcining. As far as I know there are no new mass stocking of bass anywhere, no bass restoration projects, etc etc. Now I say bass fishing is triving, well by comparison. Since as I understand it trout is still the most pursuied species in the province, they have stocking programs, stream restoration projects,and they're supporting clubs to that endevour. As well Trout are spread accross a larger geographical erea than bass. So I say, and this might be bias, the bass angler has created a nice little niche for himself with less to work with and athough we buy licences, tackel, boats, etc and could possibly add more per angler to the tax base of the angling community we draw less apon it.

Furthermore, this is a small province. Many places are getting urbanized quicly and a trout doesn't stand a chance with that many frying pans that close. Secondly as things urbanize water quality and useage becomes issue where possibly trout cannot be substained however a bass might. Should there be a few well meaning C&R bass anglers happy to substain that population, enjoy what they're doing, created web boards to chat about it, continue to keep the fishing lifestyle alive, adding to the economy, and create and provoncial voice to understand and manage than why not. Many bass fishers had only wished they had the reasourses and support that others have had.

I'm a well meaning fisherman and I'm just trying to see it for what it is. All species matter to me as should all to everyone else.

Cheers